Friday, January 27, 2012

Kung Pao Mac and Cheese

I'd like to introduce you to a little dish I like to call Kung Pao Macaroni and Cheese. It's like mac and cheese with a spicy kick. Truly delicious in my opinion. I found the recipe on pinterest, but it originally came from Southern Living (here). They call it King Ranch Chicken Mac and Cheese, but this name is deceiving as there is absolutely no ranch in the dish at all.


(source
I forgot to take my own picture and because it was so good it's all gone


This recipe is modified from the original to please my tastes and cooking techniques
Ingredients
 16-oz. pasta (elbow, fusilli, penne, or other small pasta)
2 tablespoons cooking oil
1 medium onion, diced
1 green bell pepper, diced
1 (10-oz.) can diced tomatoes and green chiles
1 (8-oz.) package Velveeta, cubed (I used more than this because it was cheesy enough for me)
3 cups  cooked chicken, shredded
1 (10 3/4-oz.) can cream of chicken soup
1/2 cup sour cream
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
Preparation
Preheat oven to 350°. Prepare pasta according to package directions.


Meanwhile, heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion and bell pepper, and sauté 5 minutes or until tender. Stir in tomatoes and green chiles and prepared cheese product; cook, stirring constantly, 2 minutes or until cheese melts. Stir in chicken, next 4 ingredients, and hot cooked pasta until blended. Spoon mixture into a lightly greased 11- x 7-inch baking dish; sprinkle


Bake at 350° for 25 to 30 minutes or until bubbly.
Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment