Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Baked Apple Crisp

I've had apples sitting in my fridge since November (yuck, I know) They came straight from the orchard when I wanted to make an apple pie and I had some left over. (When properly stored, apples can last for a while) I'd been eyeing baked apple recipes and toying with ideas for them. Recently I saw a picture of single serve apple pies baked right inside the apples. This peaked my attention but I was not in the mood for making pie dough (it's too messy and finicky). Since I prefer apple crisp I set out to see if I could make an apple crisp baked inside the apples. And guess what, it worked!!
Baked Apple Crisp
Ingredients
2 apples
lemon juice
2 T butter (softened)
2 T brown sugar
2 T flour
2 T old fashioned rolled oats
1/2 t cinnamon
1/2 t nutmeg
Directions
1. Cut the tops off the apples and hollow them out.
 2. Save the apple pieces that you hollowed out and put them in a bowl with lemon juice and water to keep them from browning.
3. Mix together rest of the ingredients making sure to chop up the butter and spread over the drained apples (This makes enough topping for more than two apples)
4. Bake at 350 degrees F until apples are soft and filling is bubbling. About 10-15 min.
 5. Enjoy it plain or with a scoop of ice cream!

No comments:

Post a Comment