Tuesday, January 3, 2012

English Muffins

A week or two ago my sister came to visit and we decided to make english muffins based on a recipe found on none other than pinterest. The only problem was they didn't turn our right and we ended up finishing them in the oven because they weren't cooking through. After a little more digging on my part, I found a recipe with good reviews and just as simple, And I Made English Muffins!!! (recipe here, but I made my own tweaks to it)
 
English Muffins
Ingredients
1 cup milk
2 tablespoons white sugar
1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
1 cup warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
1/4 cup melted shortening
6 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
Corn Meal

Directions
Warm the milk in a small saucepan until it bubbles, then remove from heat. Let cool until lukewarm. In a small bowl stir together sugar, yeast and warm water. Let stand until creamy, about 10 minutes.

In a large bowl, combine the milk, yeast mixture, shortening, salt and flour cup by cup until dough is smooth. Knead. Place in greased bowl, cover, and let rise.

Roll out dough to about 1/2 inch thick. Cut rounds with biscuit cutterSprinkle waxed paper with cornmeal and set the rounds on this to rise. Dust tops of muffins with cornmeal also. Cover and let rise 1/2 hour.
Heat greased griddle. Cook muffins on griddle about 10 minutes on each side on medium heat. Allow to cool and place in plastic bags for storage. To use, split and toast. Can be frozen. 



The best part about making my own English muffins is I know exactly what I put in them. I don't know when it started, but, lately I've been big on making my own food to save money and to lessen preservatives. Part of it stems from my food allergies but the other part I think is me wanting to be more healthy and stay away from preservatives. While time consuming and making my kitchen a disaster, it's worthwhile to make my own English Muffins!

No comments:

Post a Comment