Tuesday, December 27, 2011

First Knitting Project

Normally when people learn to knit they start with giant needles and an easy project, like a scarf. I didn't want or need a scarf so I wanted to do something else. After a trip to the library I brought home two books: Knitting for Dummies and Sock Yarn: One Skein Wonders. I leafed through the pages and found a pair of mittens that I wanted to try.
Scottish Fleet Mittens (photo from google and found in One Skein Wonders)

This pattern required size 1 double pointed knitting needles (which I already had) and is done in the round. I was up for the challenge and started right away.


Since it was my first project I didn't always have the tension right, my stitches were extremely tight. I also messed up on the cuff and took it out at least twice. On the first mitten the cuff is checkerboard because I somehow got the stitches off.


I learned a lot about knitting through my first project; tension, "reading" the stitches, becoming familiar with purling and knitting, and reading and understanding patterns.


I promised my cousin I'd post pictures of the mittens, but they are currently on the furnace vents drying as I attempt to felt them so they are a little smaller. So cousin, you'll have to wait until later to see my mittens.


I am now working on a pair of socks for my husband using fisherman's yarn that my sister gave me for Christmas.

4 comments:

  1. So your whole blog is basically reposting other peoples recipes and showing things you knit??

    ReplyDelete
  2. I signed in, but it says unknow..... this is aaron

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you are doing a wonderful job on those mittens. Maybe if I am good I will get something knitted for Christmas next year. Mom

    ReplyDelete