Thursday, December 15, 2011

Apple Sauce



Apple Sauce, my favorite thing about fall (I realize this is December, but I wanted to share anyway). I love it so much that I eat it straight out of the pot, nice and warm. I even warm my homemade applesauce in the microwave when it's been refrigerated.


In October I went to a local orchard and picked up three bags of apples to make into applesauce


My husband helped me pick Mutsu, Jonathon, and Fuji apples for this batch. I always mix apples when i make applesauce because it makes for a tastier applesauce

After cutting them into large slices I stuffed my largest pot full of the apples and little bit of water to keep them from sticking. No need to peel or core the apples, and I'll tell you why later. 


The apples cooked for about an hour until they were mushy and falling apart. Using a food mill that I borrowed from my mom I processed the apples to remove the skin and seeds. (This was probably the most time consuming portion)


I put the hot applesauce in canning jars and popped them into the canner to process (saving the extra for dinner that night), and then....


Edit My canner was a wedding present from friends who had recently moved away. They sent me a gift card with instructions to purchase the canning starter set. I thought it was sweet of them


Four quarts of applesauce!! This is the best applesauce I've ever made. The mix of the three gave it a rosy color and a natural sweetness. No need for sugar here! My husband agrees, this was the best applesauce I've made.

No comments:

Post a Comment